Got Gas? Safety Tips for Natural Gas in Homes

Private utility locatingDespite what you may think, natural gas has an excellent safety record when used in homes for heating, cooking and more. It’s used by more than half of American households as their main heating source.

Because gas is only flammable in a narrow range of concentration, as well as the fact that it dissipates quickly into air and must reach a temperature of 1100 F to burn, accidental combustion is rare.

But it is possible, so here are some safety tips courtesy of Dominion for natural gas in the home:

  • Leave a building if you smell a strong odor of gas. Contact your natural gas provider as soon as possible and keep their number handy and easily accessible, such as on the refrigerator.
  • If you smell gas, do not turn on or off any electrical devices, including garage door openers, all types of phones, TVs, light switches, etc.
  • Keep furnace filters clean and replace when suggested.
  • Avoid using bleach, paint stripper, fabric or water softener, or ice-melting salt near the furnace.
  • Keep air-returns clean for proper air flow.
  • Have your furnace inspected annually.
  • Ensure your flue is open and clean.
  • Of course, call 811 before doing any digging so you don’t accidentally damage a gas line.
  • Once the gas line is marked, stay at least 24 inches away.
  • Teach your kids natural gas safety. Here is a fun video they can watch to educate them about natural gas.

Did you know natural gas is actually odorless? Gas companies add a smelly ingredient to make sure it’s clear when there’s a gas leak.

For more information about utility locating safety or underground utility locating, visit www.baker-peterson.com.

Leave a comment

Hey, so you decided to leave a comment! That's great. Just fill in the required fields and hit submit. Note that your comment will need to be reviewed before its published.